Common Black Mulberry Tree
Latin name of tree: Morus nigra
Country/area of origin: Southwest Asia
Average annual rainfall in area of origin: 1494mm
Average expected life of tree: 25-50 years
Years until trees 1st fruit: will fruit in first year
Expected or average number of years tree expected to fruit for once it begins: 40 years
Season of year when productive tree fruits: late spring to summer
Height, width and shape of tree at maturity (in meters):
- 8-12m in height
- 3-10m in width
- 30-70cm trunk diameter
- dense canopy, rounded/oval in shape
Challenges or special requirements, such as needing other varieties in order to fruit:
- pH 5.5-7
- prefer loamy, moist, fertile and well-draining soil but capable of tolerating a range of soil conditions, including gravely, wet and alkaline soils, making them a good candidate for controlling erosion.
- position in a warm, sunny location.
Any other products, benefits, useful or interesting facts about of tree:
- fast growing and good shade tree.
- Fruits can be eaten directly from tree or used in jams, beverages and pies.
- Leaves food source for silk worms
Sorry, only able to add picture as PDF