DIY Worm Tower / Hotel = Perpetual Organic Garden
This DIY Worm Tower / Hotel instantly delivers high-value worm juice directly to the root zone creating high-quality organic garden soil. Here’s how…
Soil which easily allows burial of Worm Tower / Hotel:
- Raised garden bed.
- Loose soil in deep garden bed.
- Large pot.
- Stack of three car tyres (rims removed).
Note: Car tyre stack is ideal for root-crop (eg. potatoes) as when pushed over, harvest is as simple as picking up!
- Worm Tower / Hotel made from any plastic container (eg. old drain pipe, large soft-drink bottle, tall & skinny bucket etc.)
- Attach ‘step’ or ‘hole-saw’ drill bit to electric (or hand-powered) drill.
Note: Where possible, re-purpose waste into a valuable resource (eg. use drain pipe scraps). Also, a ‘step’ drill bit accommodates various hole sizes, this increases flow rate (between Worm Tower / Hotel and root-zone.
- Dig a hole & position Worm Tower / Hotel at the most central location.
- Ensure the centre is free from soil. Fill with organic material (eg. kitchen scraps, garden ‘waste’ [green and/or brown], grass clippings, plain [un-dyed] cardboard/paper etc).
- Collect worms (from thick & moist mulch, compost heaps, turkey nest etc.). Gently place into Worm Tower / Hotel (do not press too hard as worms are sentient beings).
- Cover from sunlight to prevent drying out.
- Two weeks growth (back).
- Four weeks growth, flower buds starting to develop (front).
With special thanks to…
‘The Health Retreat’
(Kiels Mountain, QLD.)