Whales & permaculture…inspired by WORLD WHALE DAY !
WHALES & PERMACULTURE …today is ‘World Whale Day’ – a great time to remember whales & explore just how versatile permaculture is. Let’s do this by bringing together whales & permaculture. Firstly, we can consider the significance of whales on Earth. Whales…perform ecological roles within the marine environment, emotionally connect the human culture to the environment, are aesthetically pleasing & are a tourist attraction. Permaculture…a sustainable lifestyle plan which manages the landscape & meets the needs of everyday life (food, shelter & potentially finances). Let’s see where we can bring these together. Can we couple the whale tourism industry & meeting food needs using permaculture methods? How about a whale tourism & education facility coupled to a permaculture restaurant & education centre. Let’s list some of the features each could provide:
- Using permaculture methods, the restaurant can feed the whale tourists.
- Using old cooking oil, the restaurant can supply biodiesel to the whale boats.
- Using the permaculture garden, the whale boats can produce their own biodiesel by growing eucalyptus trees & algae.
- Both the permaculture restaurant & whale business can share a coastal property.
- Both the permaculture restaurant & whale business can share students.
We’ve done it – coupled WHALES & PERMACULTURE!
IMAGE (after): Pinterest. 2018. Blue whale drawing. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.pinterest.com.au/explore/blue-whale-drawing/?lp=true. [Accessed 17 February 2018].